Zimbabwe Chamber of Informal Economy Associations (ZCIEA) PWD Structure on the 10TH of December 2018 commemorated International Day for People with Disabilities at Mucheke Hall in Masvingo.
The theme for International Day for People With Disabilities: Empowering People With Disabilities and Ensuring Inclusiveness and Equality. The event started with a march from Masvingo Town rank to Mucheke hall. The Director of Ceremonies, Mr Chitombo( Masvingo pwd Chairperson) wooed the participants with his humorous,elaborate and smooth management of the ceremony. 90% of the participants were people with disabilities.
Communications were made easier by a young sign language translator. Both his parents have speech impairments. His translation made it possible for close to 20 people with speech and hearing impairments to participate fully and enjoy the commemoration. Commemorations were graced by ZCIEA National President (also Streetnet International President) Lorraine Sibanda as guest speaker, initially the guest speaker was supposed to be Senate Watson Khupe who represents People with Disabilities in the Senatorial unfortunately he could not make it.
People with Disabilities key demands:
- A ¼ system in Council, House of Assembly and Senatorial; this is important because when all decisions are made they will be part of it.
- Government and all stakeholders to uplift the standards of living for People with Disabilities.
- Economically: to share the cake of the nation equally. Most members who have small business, SMEs are harassed by Municipal and ZRP, their goods or stocks are confiscated and they are deprived of their source of income. In that regard the councils and Government must stop this harassment with immediate effect.
- The government must intervene to make sure that these people get soft loans to start their business.
- The Municipal must have a friendly environment for the PWD.
- We appeal to work with them in harmony.
A hearty thank you to the National PWD Committee, National Chair July Moyo (Plumtree), Secretary Solomon Chivurunge (Karoi), Vice Secretary Ruzai Maphosa (Mashava), Treasurer Phatani Mlalazi (Chitungwiza), Organiser Tavengwa Mazhambe (Masvingo), Vice Organiser Milton Mukamuri (Bindura) Committee member Sibabazo Bungano (Harare) and members who worked very hard to make commemorations a success in conjunction with ZCIEA Secretary General Wisborn Malaya and Office staff. To the PWD members a job well done. Lastly the ZCIEA PWD members would like to express the boundless gratitude to the ZCIEA National President (also Streetnet International President Lorraine Sibanda and her teamfor acknowledging and supporting the PWD Day.